As a health care company, Eli Lilly is committed to the present and future well-being of people and the environment in which we live.
This commitment is to be pursued with a goal of continuous improvement and guided by the following principles:
- Encourage and expect each employee to be environmentally responsible and to conduct work practices in a safe manner in accordance with established policies and procedures. These practices are considered an essential measure of performance for all employees. Contract employees working on Lilly premises and external entities engaged in the production of our products will also be held accountable for this expectation.
- Build health, safety and environmental considerations into all phases of the business including product technology discovery and development, facility design, operation and maintenance and product delivery.
- Strive for an injury-free work force and minimize environmental impact through implementation of programs in our facilities and the surrounding communities that reduce risks to employees, neighbors, the public at large and the environment.
- Comply with all applicable laws and regulations. In situations wherein existing laws and regulations are not adequate, we will adopt our own standards consistent with the policy.
- Encourage and promote waste management, sustainable use of natural resources, recycling, energy efficiency, resource conservation and resource recovery.
- Engage in dialogue with stakeholders regarding the company’s commitment to the environment, health and safety of Lilly employees, contractors, shareholders, vendors, customers, visitors and the communities where our company operates.
- Actively participate with government agencies and other appropriate groups to ensure that the development and the implementation of environmental, health and safety policies, laws, regulations and practices promote the present and the future well-being of people and the environment and are based on sound scientific judgment.
- Regularly assess and report to management and the board of directors on the status of compliance with these principles and other external health, safety and environmental initiatives to which the company subscribe.
To help achieve our goal, Eli Lilly designed the Health Safety Environment Directions and the following tools have been made available for all employees:
Focus on motor vehicle safety to reduce collision and injury
Focus on reducing risk for manual handling on the field and improve office workstation ergonomics
Focus on general safety and personal security for employees working inside and outside the office
Focus on improvements in energy conservation, waste reduction, and product stewardship and or sustainability